DATABASE SEARCH TECHNIQUE:
Database Searching Tips and Techniques
FROM Blogs and Posts and More
- [Net-Gold] TOURISM AND TRAVEL : DATABASE SEARCHING TECHNIQUE : SKILLS: RESOURCES : RESEARCH GUIDES : RESEARCH PAPERS : RESOURCE LISTS : DISCUSSION RESPONSES: How Does One Deal with Doing Research on a Topic Like “Adulteration and the Meaning of Tourism???
- DATABASE SEARCH RESULTS : DENTAL HEALTH : TOOTH DECAY ; TEETH: CAVITIES : FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET SPORTS DRINKS : DATABASE: SEARCHING TECHNIQUE: Comparative Database Search Results for the Topic of Sports Drinks and Tooth Decay
DENTAL HEALTH :
TOOTH DECAY ;
TEETH: CAVITIES :
FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET SPORTS DRINKS:
Comparative Database Search Results
for the Topic of Sports Drinks and Tooth Decay
- [DIGITALSCHOLARSHIP] DATABASE SEARCH TECHNIQUES : DATABASES: MEDICAL: PUBMED : SCHOLARLY PUBLICATIONS: AUTHORS: JOINT AUTHORS: SEARCHING FOR JOINT AUTHORS IN THE MEDICAL LITERATURE: PUBMED VS. GOOGLE SCHOLAR VS. GOOGLE DOMAIN LIMITED WEB SEARCHING (PUBMED
DATABASE SEARCH TECHNIQUES :
DATABASES: MEDICAL: PUBMED :
SCHOLARLY PUBLICATIONS: AUTHORS: JOINT AUTHORS:
Searching for Joint Authors in the Medical Literature: PUBMED
vs. Google Scholar vs. Google Domain Limited Web Searching (PUBMED)
These comments in a Medlib search prompted the message I composed and sent in response to this statement:
“Until about a year ago one could search PubMed by full author name and get reasonably useful results (e.g. Meshobob, Kukalaka [au]), but the search algorithm was changed so that instead of searching “Meshobob, Kukalaka” it searches “Meshobob” OR “Kukalaka”, making known author searches much more problematic. ”
- [Educator-Gold] [statistics] RESEARCH GUIDES : STATISTICS: RESOURCES : DATABASE SEARCH RESULTS : RESEARCH TECHNIQUES : UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT : BOOKS : DATABASE SEARCHING TECHNIQUES: Tools in the Statistics Research Guide for Finding Data Sources and Ma
RESEARCH GUIDES :
STATISTICS: RESOURCES :
DATABASE SEARCH RESULTS :
RESEARCH TECHNIQUES :
UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT :
DATABASE SEARCHING TECHNIQUES:
Tools in the Statistics Research Guide for
Finding Data Sources and Manipulating the Data
- [Educator-Gold] DATABASE SEARCH TECHNIQUE : DATABASE SEARCH RESULTS : PSYCHOLOGY: DISORDERS: CHOCOLATE ADDICTION : MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY : INFORMATION LITERACY: Google Site Search and Chocolate Addiction and Obesity: Give Your Searches Some Space
DATABASE SEARCH TECHNIQUE :
DATABASE SEARCH RESULTS :
PSYCHOLOGY: DISORDERS: CHOCOLATE ADDICTION :
MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY :
Google Site Search and Chocolate Addiction and Obesity:
Give Your Searches Some Space
- DATABASE: SEARCHING SKILLS : DATABASE: SEARCHING TECHNIQUES : THESAURUSES : SYNONYMS : DATABASE: SEARCH STRATEGIES : WIKIS: Pearl Harvesting Search Thesaurus: Research Synthesis Terms
DATABASE: SEARCHING SKILLS :
DATABASE: SEARCHING TECHNIQUES :
DATABASE: SEARCH STRATEGIES :
Pearl Harvesting Search Thesaurus and Research Synthesis Terms
Research Synthesis Terms [English Translation of this phrases is literature reviews or meta-anlaysis or systematic reviews]
- [Net-Gold] DATABASE SEARCHING TECHNIQUE : DATABASE SELECTION : RESEARCH SKILLS AND TRAINING: Improving Research by Broading Database Selection Horizons Beyond the Core Databases in Ones Field and Thinking Outside the Box: What Constitutes Good Databases?
DATABASE SEARCHING TECHNIQUE : DATABASE SELECTION :
RESEARCH SKILLS AND TRAINING:
Improving Research by Broading Database Selection Horizons
Beyond the Core Databases in Ones Field and Thinking
Outside the Box: What Constitutes Good Databases?
What constitutes a quality database:
- DATABASE SEARCH TECHNIQUES : DATABASE SEARCH TOOLS : INFORMATION LITERACY : MEDIA LITERACY : BIBLIOGRAPHIES : WEBLIOGRAPHIES : BOOK REVIEWS : WRITING AND WRITERS: RESEARCH PAPERS: Resource Collections, Database Search Results and Research Guides for Learn
DATABASE SEARCH TECHNIQUES :
DATABASE SEARCH TOOLS :
INFORMATION LITERACY :
MEDIA LITERACY :
BOOK REVIEWS :
WRITING AND WRITERS: RESEARCH PAPERS:
Resource Collections, Database Search Results and Research Guides
for Learning Database Searching, Information Literacy,
Media Literacy and Research Paper Writing Skills
- DATABASE: SEARCH: TECHNIQUE: Searching Google Scholar for Citation Analysis and for Specific Titles has Changed Somewhat
DATABASE: SEARCH: TECHNIQUE:
Searching Google Scholar for Citation Analysis and for Specific Titles has Changed Somewhat
- DATABASE: SEARCHING: TECHNIQUES : DATABASES: MEDICAL HEALTH BIOSCIENCES BIOLOGY PSYCHOLOGY : DATABASE: TRAINING: Tools and Techniques for Searching Medline and Pub Med
DATABASE: SEARCHING: TECHNIQUES :
DATABASES: MEDICAL HEALTH BIOSCIENCES BIOLOGY PSYCHOLOGY :
Tools and Techniques for Searching Medline and Pub Med
News | Overviews | Journals | Data Structure and Content | Data Policies | Searching PubMed | Tools and Utilities | MEDLINE Statistics | Help and Training Resources
INFORMATION LITERACY:DATABASE SEARCH TECHNIQUES
FROM LIS NEWS
Submitted by Senthil on December 20, 2006 – 2:38pm
Mayo Clin Proc. 2004 Oct;79(10):1295-9; quiz 1300.
Using advanced search tools on PubMed for citation retrieval.
Sood A1, Erwin PJ, Ebbert JO.
Table of Contents
What is PubMed Interact?
Searching MEDLINE/PubMed with PubMed Interact
Citations to Display
Toggle Limits Display
Preview Results Count
Default Limits and Reload Form
Toggle Abstract Display
Toggle Related Articles
Relevance Lists and Views
Deleting a Citation
Auto-append article after deletion
Preview details of related article
Add related article to main list
The PubMed Informer is an online tracking tool that monitors keyword searches for MEDLINE/PubMed.
It informs users through several channels:
Scheduled Email Alerts
SMS Alerts to mobile phones
AvantGo Channel downloads for PDAs
RSS Feeds for readers and browsers
Other features of the PubMed Informer include Search Histories and Archived Articles for each search.
askMEDLINE Allows MEDLINE/PubMed queries in the form of simple questions. The tool also provides links to PICO (Patient, Intervention, Comparison, Outcome) interface & Babel MesH – (Multilanguage search for MEDLINE/PubMed).
eTBLAST Online system that offers the easiest and most effective method of published literature search with abstracts, rather than words and phrases as query components. The set of utilities at eTBLAST can hierarchically list articles with high similarity to the query paragraph as well as the journals and authors frequently associated with such related articles
PubMed Widely used bio-literature search engine developed from NCBI. It is a free interface for searching Medline database.It also covers other NLM databases.
PubMed Interact It is an interactive interface for MEDLINE/PubMed and follows the search and syntax rules of PubMed. This interactive site from NCBI presents ‘slider bars’ to enable quicker settings and re-settings of different parameters involved in the search strategy.The tool seems to be in its beta version.
ReleMed ReleMed categorizes each retrieved citation into 8 different levels of relevance, depending on the frequency of occurrence of the search terms within the title, sentences of abstract & MeSH. Has efficient Automatic term mapping feature.
MiSearch Adaptive PubMed Search Tool Ranks the retrieved citations based on an estimated likelihood of a user choosing to view them. User’s citation choices are acquired by the program during browsing.
MedKit The tool seems to be developed to overcome the following limitations of PubMed.
PubMed Informer It is a tool for monitoring topics of interest from MEDLINE/PubMed using five tracking methods: Web access, e-mail, Short Message Service (SMS), PDA downloads and RSS feeds
Info-PubMed Info-PubMed is based on Natural Language Processing and Text Mining techniques
Whatizit A sister application from EBI that can be useful in a wide variety of advanced searches. This engine, which may also be accessed programmatically, can search specific terms in molecular biology in given texts and link them to publicly available databases.
CiteSeerX (beta version) It is a search engine for the scientific literature and academic papers.
Novoseek It is a biomedical search engine. It indexes articles from PubMed and open access articles from PubMed Central.
Web of Science Is a commercial search engine from Thomson Reuters, known for its citation tracking ability.
- JOURNAL ARTICLE: Making PubMed Searching Simple: Learning to Retrieve Medical Literature Through Interactive Problem Solving
Making PubMed Searching Simple: Learning to Retrieve Medical Literature Through Interactive Problem Solving
Beatriz Vincenta, Maurice Vincentb and Carlos Gil Ferreiraa
A Clinical Research Department, Instituto Nacional do Câncer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil;
bNeurology Department, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Beatriz Vincent, M.D., M.Sc., Centro de Pesquisa do Instituto Nacional do Câncer, Rua André Cavalcanti 37, 2° andar, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, CEP 20.231-050. Telephone: 55-21-3233-1502; Fax: 55-21-3233-1411; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received August 23, 2005.
Accepted December 15, 2005.
- Molecular Biology Resources – Weill Cornell Medical Library Finding Genetic Sequence and Technique Information using Entrez
General Search Strategy
Create a search statement using keywords
Use bibliographic databases appropriate to
Use keywords and controlled language
Use Boolean searching
Change approaches as necessary
Continue to identify applicable keywords and controlled vocabulary to go back and check in the selected database(s) and other resources
CREATING A SEARCH STATEMENT
UTILIZE DATABASE FEATURES
KEYWORDS AND CONTROLLED VOCABULARY
TRUNCATION AND WILDCARDS
COMBINING TERMS (BOOLEAN SEARCHING)
REFINE AND REPEAT SEARCH STATEMENTS
OTHER SOURCES OF HELP
PUBMED Alternatives to Search MEDLINE: An Environmental Scan
Department of Medicine Health Information Research Unit, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada; Department of Prosthodontics, Amrita School of Dentistry, Kochi, Kerala, India,
Indian Journal of Dental Research
Year : 2014 | Volume : 25 | Issue : 4 | Page : 527-534
- PubMed: Alternative Search Interfaces FROM Galter Health Sciences Library. Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Biomedical Literature Search Tools
A collection of biomedical literature search tools that use PubMed data. Updated by NCBI.
A text mining tool that detects co-occuring biomedical concepts in abstracts in MEDLINE. It is especially useful for microarray data analysis.
Like PubMed’s Related Articles feature, this search engine lets the user input an entire paragraph and returns MEDLINE abstracts that are similar to it.
FABLE – Fast Automated Biomedical Literature Extraction
FABLE mines the biomedical literature for information about human genes and proteins. FABLE v3 allows a user to find articles mentioning a gene of interest (Article Finder), to generate a list of genes associated with one or more keywords (Gene Lister), or use a local mirror of the UCSC Genome Browser with a literature track (LitTrack).
Results are divided into meaningful categories such as concepts, persons, institutions, places, journals and dates.
General Internet & Print Resources
The Russell Conwell Learning Center Research Guide:
THE COLLEGE LEARNING CENTER
Nina Dillard’s Photographs on Net-Gold
and also at
Temple University Site Map
Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
Wellness and Tourism: Mind, Body, Spirit,
Place, New York: Cognizant Communication Books.
Wellness Tourism: Bibliographic and Webliographic Essay
David P. Dillard
RailTram Discussion Group
From the Union Pacific to BritRail and Beyond
Improve Your Chances for Indoor Gardening Success
HEALTH DIET FITNESS RECREATION SPORTS TOURISM
Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
in search results for Net-Gold and related lists.
The Net-Gold relationship with JIGLU has
been terminated by JIGLU and these are dead links.
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives
You receive all messages sent to this group.